16 Feb Ep 08: How to learn new skills and get a smart education – with Takashi Fujimoto
Have you ever wanted to do something new but felt you did’t have the right skills? Or do you sometimes have regrets about your education and wished you chose a different path? Well, the good news is that you don’t have to go back to school. There are many online and offline learning services that can give you the right knowledge at a fraction of the cost of traditional education. You can now get yourself a “smart education.”
The truth is that, in our society, if you want to stand out from the crowd, you’ll have to keep learning all of your life. Whether you want to keep up with your industry, change career, or simply learn a new hobby, chances are that there’s somebody out there who is willing to teach you. That’s what my guest, Takashi Fujimoto has been focusing on with “Street Academy”, a C2C learning service he started in 2012.
Takashi is highly educated with two masters degrees from top American universities, but he realized that good diplomas are not all, and that he would have to learn new skills on his own.
In this interview, we talk about the future of education and how universities are challenged by the rise of both e-learning and offline C2C learning. We also cover many other topics such as how to find great business ideas; what’s the best timing to quit your corporate job etc.
This episode, I’m sure, won’t only whet your thirst for knowledge but will also give you clues on how to develop the right skills for making your projects come to life.
- (2:01) Introduction
- (4:13) How to become an entrepreneur
- (7:42) Finding a good business idea
- (12:41) Process of starting up a business
- (15:33) When should you quit your job?
- (20:38) The culture of failure in Japan
- (23:05) Choosing the right people for building a team
- (28:20) Learning how to program with online courses
- (34:47) e-education versus offline C2C learning
- (37:46) The future of education and the tradeoff between skills and diploma
- (43:14) Quick-fire questions
- Street Academy website
- Street Academy on Facebook and Twitter
- Online course services: Coursera, edX, Udemy
- How to learn coding: Code academy, Progate, Code school
- Wine scanner apps: Vivino and Drync
- Book – The obstacle is the way from Ryan Holiday (from my top readings in 2014)
- Tempura Restaurant Ten hide ( 天ひで)
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Please use the comment section below to share your valuable thoughts!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, I know your time is limited but please leave an honest review on iTunes! It is crucial for the show to keep existing. Your support is greatly appreciated.
If you have questions or suggestions for future episodes, please reach out here.
Thanks again for your continuing support…