23 Feb Ep 09: Startup jobs in Japan and the recruiting revolution – with Nikola Pavesic
Finding a job is already a hard task, but finding a job at a startup is almost “mission impossible”. Most of startup jobs aren’t listed anywhere. Small ventures usually don’t have the resources to post on traditional job boards, let alone working with traditional recruiting companies. So, if you’re looking to work for a startup, your options are usually very limited.
It is an issue for startups too. When looking to grow their teams, startups usually reach out their direct circle of friends, but have trouble putting the word out there. With such limitations, they are very unlikely to find the suitable candidates they are looking for. That’s the problem “Justa” is trying to solve.
My guest, Nikola Pavesic (Nik), is leading Justa’s ambition: “matching startups with great talents in Japan.” In the show, he reveals the secrets of the recruiting industry and shares with us his vision on the evolution of the employment market for startups.
Nik is also highly connected in the Japanese startup ecosystem. In about half a year, he not only launched Justa’s platform but was able to grow a massive awareness of his service inside the startup community. He explains to us the strategies he used to increase his user base, and to sign-up his first clients. He also shares with us his view on the local startup ecosystem in Japan.
Whether you’re looking for new opportunities or just want to get up to date with the startup job market, I’m sure Nik’s insights will prove very helpful.
- (1:30) Introduction of Nikola Pavesic
- (3:40) Presentation of Justa
- (8:06) The first 6 months biggest challenges
- (11:00) How to get your first clients and users
- (14:50) Improving job matching by focusing on skills
- (18:14) Business model
- (21:44) Job market in Japan
- (27:08) Startups recruiting business
- (30:22) Justa team
- (32:28) The future of the recruiting market in Japan
- (35:25) Creating a more cohesive and integrated startup ecosystem
- (47:37) Quick-fire questions
- Justa website
- Justa on Facebook & Twitter
- Connect with Nik on Twitter
- Parent company Red Brick Ventures
- Sister company Wahl & Case
- Discover startup events around Tokyo with meetup.com / Doorkeeper / Peatix
- Check recurrent events: Mobile Monday & Hacker News
- Productivity tools: Slack / Google Drive / Mailchimp / Bufferapp
- Restaurant recommendations: Number A (bar) / Shin / Abura Soba / Torimasa (yakitori)
- Related episode: Ep 08: How to learn new skills and get a smart education
Thanks for listening!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Please use the comment section below to share your valuable thoughts!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the bottom of the post.
Also, I know your time is limited but please leave an honest review on iTunes! It is crucial for the show to keep existing. Your support is greatly appreciated.
If you have questions or suggestions for future episodes, please reach out here.
Thanks again for your continuing support…